Search This Blog

Monday, August 29, 2011

Friends and Freebies

Thank God for fabulous friends with fabulous taste! And thank God twice as hard for fabulous friends with fabulous taste who are willing to give me their leftovers. A very close buddy of mine recently went through a lot of his things and decided that most if it was destined for Goodwill. 

OVER MY DEAD BODY! 

You might understand a little better if you know how truly impeccable my friend's taste is in fashion, food, home decor (although that may more likely be attributed to his boyfriend, rather than himself), style, life, etc. He is swank-tastic, and that's really all there is to it. I knew that anything that he planned on giving or throwing away would be a million times nicer than anything that I currently own, and being that my friend is so amazing, I got to pick through everything before it was donated. Here are the delights that I ended up with: 1.) A brand new, still-in-the-box, touch-screen, Lexmark printer. Srsly? Srsly. Brand. Fucking. New. 2.) Three sets of cloth napkins in green, white, and turquoise. Each color has a set of twelve, which is already eight more than the maximum number of people that I know and could therefore have over for dinner, so I'll have to work on acquiring more friends. 3.) A chrome toilet paper holder, which I actually really did need for my half bathroom, and has already been put to use. 4.) Lots of other random goodies, like a huge plastic pitcher, draperies, and pillow forms. 5.) The absolute best part of everything I received, THESE BEAUTS:


I have been drooling over these gorgeous chairs ever since he got them! They are relatively inexpensive chairs (or what my friend would consider inexpensive, which does not necessarily correlate with what normal, non-rich people wold consider inexpensive) that he had taken to a local Maaco (yes, the car painting place!), and painted a high-gloss, bright white. Apparently you can take them just about anything you want and they'll use the same stuff that they use on cars to paint away! Who knew?! Then, they were re-upholstered with white, ostrich leather and finished off with a silver nailhead trim. Aren't they great? I got a set of six of them, two with arms and two without. Since one of the arms is "broken" on one of the armed chairs, the whole set was no longer deemed acceptable for dining seatage (and I use the word broken very loosely here because the chair on the right is the accused and can easily be fixed with a little bit of gorilla glue). That's crazy talk, I know! But I'm not complaining. In fact, I may or may not have made it a point to mention it every time I was at his place. "Wow. That chair is looking really bad. It's SOOOO obviously broken and disgusting looking. People are going to think you're poor and can't afford decent chairs. You probably need a whole new set or something. I mean, or whatever you want to do."

I'm not saying that it's right, I'm just saying it worked. The chairs are mine. Muahahaha!

So, now I have lots of project possibilities. Was thinking about embroidering some of those napkins. And since I do not have a dining room table that can accommodate these luscious seats of luxury, I'll have to find them a home somewhere else in the condo. At least until I can talk him out of his table, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment